PRiSM™ (Projects integrating Sustainable Methods)
PRiSM is a process-based, structured methodology for managing change. The methodology highlights areas of sustainability and integrates them into the traditional core project phases to reduce negative environmental and social impacts in all project types using the GPM P5 Standard.
PRiSM (PRojects integrating Sustainable Methods) is a sustainability-centered, total systems lifecycle approach for managing projects.
PRiSM Brings change (projects) into a more strategic focus by leveraging existing organizational systems to ensure that benefits are realized horizontally and vertically, with the utmost attention focused on corporate sustainability.
Because PRiSM leverages, our award winning P5 Standard for Sustainability in Project Management, organizational and project level risk, from an environmental, social and economic perspective, can be evaluated and mitigated using value based calculations.
PRiSM extends beyond the project as standard project reports allow the organization to include project outcomes (their products and services) into transparency and accountability reporting.
The Six Principles of Sustainable Change Delivery
Derived from the UN Global Compact's Ten Principles, Earth Charter, and ISO:26000, Guidance on Corporate Social Responsibility.
Corporate sustainability starts with a company’s value system and a principled approach to doing business. This means operating in ways that, at a minimum, meet fundamental responsibilities in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. Responsible businesses enact the same values and principles wherever they have a presence, and know that good practices in one area do not offset harm in another.
1. Commitment & Accountability - Recognizing the essential rights of all to healthy, clean and safe environments, equal opportunity, fair remuneration, ethical procurement, and adherence to rule of law
2. Ethics & Decision Making - Supporting organizational ethics, decision making with respect for universal principles through identification, mitigation, and the prevention of adverse short and long-term impacts on society and the environment
3. Integrated & Transparent - Fostering the interdependence of economic development, social integrity, and environmental protection in all aspects of governance, practice and reporting
4. Principal & Values Based - Conserving and enhancing our natural resource base by improving the ways in which we develop and use technologies and resources
5. Social & Ecological Equity - Assessing human vulnerability in ecologically sensitive areas and centres of population through demographic dynamics
6. Economic Prosperity - Establishing fiscal strategies, objectives, and targets that balance the needs of stakeholders, including immediate needs and those of future generations
PRiSM is a principle-based method to change and is an alternative to the traditional approaches to projects and that incorporates a value-maximization model. While corporate sustainability recognizes that corporate growth and profitability are important, it also requires the Corporation ability to change to coincide with societal goals, specifically those relating to sustainable development — environmental protection, social justice and equity, and economic development.
GPM was awarded an IPMA® Achievement Award in 2013 for our project to develop PRiSM and corresponding Framework.